Philippi Baptist Church was organized on November 4, 1888, at Adamsburg, Union County South Carolina by a group of interested and concerned people. These people, having realized the need for a Baptist church in this community, gathered on this memorable day, determined in their faith that a new church would be born. There were 18 known charter members present that day. Ebenezer Franklin Vaughan donated the property for the church building and for a cemetery. His first wife, Martha Ann Bentley Vaughan was the first person to be buried in the cemetery. The work on the church began in March 1889, and the first service was held the third Sunday of May 1889. Seating capacity for the church was 400, and total disbursements amounted to $639.08, a splendid building indeed. Philippi joined the Union County Baptist Association on September 18, 1889. The first remodeling and additions were made to the church in 1938. A seven-room brick parsonage was built in 1948. The vestibule was remodeled and a raised baptistery was added in 1955. A fellowship hall was built in 1961, and a multi-purpose Christian Fellowship Center was built in 1977.

Helpful Links